Locksmithing/safe lock battery location

Question
QUESTION: My son gave me a 7 year old Cabela LG gun safe.  He did not give me a book with any instructions.  The battery has died and the round digital keyboard (with LG located at the bottom of the keyboard) does not light up when touched and his code does not work.  How do I access the battery to change it?

The handle has three bars.  The keypad is round and located directly above the handle in the center.  I would say the safe is about 5 feet tall.  It is in storage in excellent condition (otherwise) and I do not have a photo.

I hope this is enough information.  Thank you.

ANSWER: Nancy,

LaGard made a number of different key pads.   The location of the batteries WILL depend on what you have.

The majority have the batteries under the key pad.   Look along the bottom side of the key pad, if it has a large, black, plastic cover, pull this down to reveal the battery compartment.  If not, then simply tap up on the bottom of the key pad with the heel of your hand.   The key pad should slide up the face of the safe about 1/4" and come off in your hand, revealing the battery compartment on the back side.

One key pad is only about 1/2" thick.   It does not have the plastic trap door, and does not slide up the face of the safe.   It's batteries are inside the safe.   It will have two small battery terminals on one side or the other of the key pad.   Usually the right side of the numbers.   Place a 9vdc battery on the terminals, small terminal to small, and large terminal to large.   while holding the battery, input your combination to open the safe as normal.   Once open, you can then change the battery inside the safe.

This covers most of the key pads from LaGard.   If you still can't figure it out, take a photo of the key pad and send it to me.   Once I see exactly what you have I can help you.

If necessary, you can also go to:  http://www.kaba-mas.com/LA-GARD-Brand/Products/367380/electronic.html
check out the key pads on LaGard's site, you can obtain manufacturer documentation about any of their products from this page.

Hope this helps, if not send me the photos.

QUESTION: Thank you so very much.  If I do get in and can replace the battery, when entering my son's code, do I press # or some other key either before or after the series of numbers?  Is there a way to enter a new code if the old code is not accepted.  Thank you, again.

Answer
Nancy,

These locks will NOT lose their memory if the batteries are unplugged, even for years.   There are no special keys to press, simply input the CORRECT combination to open the safe.

Note:  It is important you listen to the lock.   Each button will give you an audible tone, and the led will flash.   When you press the final number, you will get a tone for the button, and ONE additional beep signifying a correct combination. (beep-beep)

If you get the tone for the final number and TWO additional beeps, it is indicating an INCORRECT combination.  (beep-beep-beep)

Four incorrect tries will initiate a 5 minute penalty period.   At the end of the penalty period, you will get two more tries before the penalty period restarts.   This will continue until you have the correct combination.

There are only 6 numbers in the code, so if you have more or less than 6, you do not have the correct code.

The lock WILL NOT accept a new code unless you have the correct current code.   If the safe is currently open, the circuit board can be reset by an authorized service company back to the way it left the factory.
If the safe is locked closed and you DON'T have the correct, or a working code, then it may have to be drilled.

if you get the "ok" code (beep-beep) when you press the last button of the code, but it still won't open, your batteries may be low - change them.   Ensure that the batteries are fresh, good quality alkaline ONLY batteries, preferrably Engerizer or Duracell.
NOTE:   Just because you buy them and they have a future expiration date, does NOT guarantee that they have good voltage.   check the batteries with a multi-meter.   New batteries should be in the 9.3 to 9.6 vdc.    I've opened up a lot of new battery packs and measured them at below 9vdc.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)