Locksmithing/Victor Patent Safes

Question
My grandfather has a Vivtor Patten Safe that we are trying to open.  The combination that was in the lock box at the bank is 94R 72L 15R 72L.  We tried doing it by spinning the dial first 4 times then 3 to the left then 2 right and 1 left. That does not seem to work.  Their is a date and number on the dial of the safe of Oct. 2, 88 and a number 114663. We have pictures if you need them.  Can you tell me what we are doing wrong or if this is the correct number of times to turn the dial.

Answer
Victor used a couple of different locks on their safes.

Does your safe have a handle as well as a dial on it?

First, let's make sure you're dialing the combination correctly.

To dial the combination you have:

Turn the dial clockwise (Right) until you come to 94 four times.

Turn the dial Left until you come to 72 three times. Do not worry about passing numbers or zero. Just go to 72 three times

Turn the dial Right until you come to 15 two times

Turn the dial Left directly to 72. Does the dial stop?

If so, turn the handle.

If it doesn't stop, dial the combination again and when you come to the last number, stop.

Try the handle.

If this doesn't work, see if you can post a pic of the whole safe, and a close up of the dial and handle together.

Hope this helps.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Locksmithing

Dan Terrigno