Locksmithing/cole safe

Question
i have to unlock a little cole safe with a dial of 35 number. i dont have numbers but i knew there were a way to calculate the combinaison with the numbers on the side of the safe. but i dont remember how, i dont use it enought. i remember i was calculating it with a chalk because we had to erase some number. but i dont remember how i was doing. Can you help me with that!

Answer
Carl,

I'm not sure "what you were calculating", but manufacturers NEVER associated combinations with serial numbers or any other number that they placed on a container, for obvious security and liability reasons.

If the numbers were written by a previous owner, then while the numbers place there may have association with the combination, they have no reference to the safe.

I'm not sure where you got the idea concerning a "calculation" available for combinations, but someone was simply pulling your leg.

If you are looking for the "dialing sequence", then this is NOT a calculation.   The sequence will depend on how many wheels in your lock.   As several locks were used on these cabinets, the sequence may be one of a number of variations.   All of the Cole cabinets I've seen had three wheel locks and 100 number dials.

I would assume that with a 35 number dial, your container would only have 2 combination wheels and a drive wheel, giving you a sequence of:

3 times right to the first number,
2 times left to the second number,
1 time right to the third number,

If you were working with numbers left by a previous owner, you would need to provide me with the numbers that you are currently working with, so that I can get some idea of what you have, and possibly what you are doing wrong.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)