Locksmithing/Cramer Bros. Safe

Question
I recently aquired a building built in early 1920's with a closet size Cramer Bros. vault/safe.  It is open and tumbler spins freely (Yale mechanism) but lever is in lock position & I don't have combo, can a locksmith make this operable or do they need the original combo?  I can provide pics of front and back of door.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Ron,

Basic History:
J.W. Cramer traveled from West Virginia to Kansas City, MO in 1886 to establish the Cramer Bros. Safe Company, after the devastating 1871 Chicago Fire, to provide both Burglary & Fire resistive safes.   In 1940 the "safe division" was sold to Mosler Safe Company, and the newly named Cramer Inc. staked its future on product innovation - chairs and office equipment designed to support the posture and comfort of every seated worker.

In answer to your question, yes the combination can be either recovered or reset, as long as the safe is open.   Though I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   They generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes.   I would recommend that you contact a local SAFE company to have their safe technician recover or reset the combination, service the safe and ensure its operation for you.

I would also recommend that you do not plan on using this container for business purposes, or for overnight storage of any cash, jewelry or valuable documents, as it does not meet any current standards for fire or burglary resistance.

If you have any further questions, I would be happy to answer them for you.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)