Locksmithing/Diebold Fire Insulated cabinet

Spec # F2ND, serial#Y768613, Class D#353221
You answered a question in 2011 about fire resistance and that it is not a safe.  My question is how much does the above weigh?  Would like to put in my car and need to know how many backs I may break.  Thanks.

Hi Kay,

The weight would depend on how big it is?????   As you didn't give me any dimensions or sizes, I would have trouble guessing.    Sorry, my wife broke my crystal ball about the same time she killed my money tree!   :)

The Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) information that you have provided only tells me the following:
Specification "F2-ND" indicates that it is a "Fire Resistive Container" - NOT a safe.
Classification "D" fire rating, indicates that it was rated for 1 hour of fire resistance.
The serial number is FOR the label and NOT the container - the "Y" indicates that it was rated to cost more than $75 at the time of purchase.

As SMNA has no longer tested containers for fire or burglary resistance, since 1964, and as this container is probably over 50 years old, it does not meet any current standards for fire resistance, and it is not a burglary resistive container.

Now back to your question concerning the weight, it will depend on whether or not it is a legal or letter size.   but the following weights should be fairly close:

2 drawer containers are probably around 350-400 lbs.

3 drawer containers are probably around 600-700 lbs.

4 drawer containers are probably around 800-1000 lbs.

While I realize that there is probably a little room for error in the above estimates, they should take in some variations in size, and should come fairly close.    Even a small 2 drawer is possibly going to be larger than your car can handle without using a small forklift to move it in and out.

Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't be more exact.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)