Locksmithing/Diebold Fire Insulated cabinet

Question
Spec # F2ND, serial#Y768613, Class D#353221
You answered a question in 2011 about fire resistance and that it is not a safe.  My question is how much does the above weigh?  Would like to put in my car and need to know how many backs I may break.  Thanks.

Answer
Hi Kay,

The weight would depend on how big it is?????   As you didn't give me any dimensions or sizes, I would have trouble guessing.    Sorry, my wife broke my crystal ball about the same time she killed my money tree!   :)

The Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) information that you have provided only tells me the following:
Specification "F2-ND" indicates that it is a "Fire Resistive Container" - NOT a safe.
Classification "D" fire rating, indicates that it was rated for 1 hour of fire resistance.
The serial number is FOR the label and NOT the container - the "Y" indicates that it was rated to cost more than $75 at the time of purchase.

As SMNA has no longer tested containers for fire or burglary resistance, since 1964, and as this container is probably over 50 years old, it does not meet any current standards for fire resistance, and it is not a burglary resistive container.

Now back to your question concerning the weight, it will depend on whether or not it is a legal or letter size.   but the following weights should be fairly close:

2 drawer containers are probably around 350-400 lbs.

3 drawer containers are probably around 600-700 lbs.

4 drawer containers are probably around 800-1000 lbs.

While I realize that there is probably a little room for error in the above estimates, they should take in some variations in size, and should come fairly close.    Even a small 2 drawer is possibly going to be larger than your car can handle without using a small forklift to move it in and out.

Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't be more exact.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)