Locksmithing/Hall's Safe Co Safe Identification

Question
I am selling a few old safes for my father-in-law that he received when his father passed about a year ago.  One of them is a large safe made by Hall's Safe Co of Cincinnati.  The safe is 70"T x 39.5W x 28D.  There are no identification marks on the safe that we can find and I was curious if you might know where the stampings should be to indicate Fire or Burglary Ratings?  I can send pictures as well if you need.
Thank you very much!!

Answer
Aidan,

Sorry, but very few safe companies labeled their safes prior to 1930.   After WWII, it became more popular as more companies were taking advantage of advertising, and being able to say that "YOUR" safe was better than someone else's, because of the testing, was a great sales gimmick.

Testing and labeling also helped to "standardize" safe manufacturing.

As the "Hall's Safe Company" was out of business by the late 1920's possibly as late as 1930, none of their safes were ever labeled.   Which means that these safes would not have a burglary or fire resistance label.   Also, safes are NOT stamped with any type of inspection logo or number.    Any stamped numbers or letters would refer to something that the factory did.    Other than serial numbers, items were marked or stamped with build markings.   For instance every item out of a particular mold would be marked to identify the mold, to assist in making sure that the mating parts were correct.    Using parts from another mold set, would result in misalignment and/or the container would have numerous defects.

Hope that explains some of your questions - any others??  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)