Locksmithing/Hall's Safe Co Safe Identification

I am selling a few old safes for my father-in-law that he received when his father passed about a year ago.  One of them is a large safe made by Hall's Safe Co of Cincinnati.  The safe is 70"T x 39.5W x 28D.  There are no identification marks on the safe that we can find and I was curious if you might know where the stampings should be to indicate Fire or Burglary Ratings?  I can send pictures as well if you need.
Thank you very much!!

Sorry, but very few safe companies labeled their safes prior to 1930.   After WWII, it became more popular as more companies were taking advantage of advertising, and being able to say that "YOUR" safe was better than someone else's, because of the testing, was a great sales gimmick.

Testing and labeling also helped to "standardize" safe manufacturing.

As the "Hall's Safe Company" was out of business by the late 1920's possibly as late as 1930, none of their safes were ever labeled.   Which means that these safes would not have a burglary or fire resistance label.   Also, safes are NOT stamped with any type of inspection logo or number.    Any stamped numbers or letters would refer to something that the factory did.    Other than serial numbers, items were marked or stamped with build markings.   For instance every item out of a particular mold would be marked to identify the mold, to assist in making sure that the mating parts were correct.    Using parts from another mold set, would result in misalignment and/or the container would have numerous defects.

Hope that explains some of your questions - any others??  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)