Locksmithing/John D Brush Co safe

The wife and I recently purchased an older home with contents.  Among the contents is a John D. Brush Co, Inc safe, marked "Keep/Safe" with a stamped number number on a small aluminum plate on the door - 580290 and also a number on the chromed handle - 89094. The safe is older, maybe from the 1930's or '40's?  

Of course, there's no combination readily available, so we're thinking about the easiest way to open to safe, or any way to open the safe!  If we cut the hinges away, will we be able to remove the door?  Or would it be likely that there's a bolt being thrown on that side also?

John D. Brush and his brother-in-law Willard Punnett began making safes in 1930 as the "Brush-Punnett Company.   In 1943 after purchasing his sister's and brother-in-law's interest, John D. Brush became the sole owner and the name of the company became John D. Brush Company.   The name was again changed in 1987 to Sentry Group, to better identify the company with its trademark name.   So your safe would have been made from the late 1940's through the early 1960's.

My first recommendation would be for you to contact the manufacturer to see if they have a combination listed for your safe - you can contact them by going to www.sentrysafe.com , or by calling their customer service number at 1-800-828-1438.

As far as "cutting the hinges" to open the safe, manufacturers figured that trick out about 150 years ago, and include either active or deadbolts on the hinge side to keep the door from coming open if the hinges are cut.

My second recommendation to open the safe, would be for you to simply take the container to a local safe company to have them open it for you.

As far as providing you with instructions to open the safe, other than the proper dialing sequence we DO NOT provide ANY other options for opening the safe for obvious security and liability reasons.   We have no way of knowing who you are, and/or what your relationship to the safe is.   As this site is also a general forum, our instructions can be read by anyone, to be used for other than legitimate reasons.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know and/or would recommend in your area.

hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)