Locksmithing/Marks lockset won't operate with key

Question
I have a mortised lock on a security gate, the key turns partially bot won't unlock.
My guess is that one of the inside parts is wore off or loose. what is the easiest way to remove the lock?

Answer
Some images of the gate and lock might help to more accurately identify what you have and what your potential problem might be.
  Generally these locks have to be unlocked and the gate open to remove or service it, I know in your situation that may seems really frustrating but really, how secure would this gate be if you could just take the lock off while it was locked and open the gate?. Attempting to forcefully remove this hardware may result in damaging it. That might not seem important to you if you think it is broken anyway, but I would be cautious to be sure that the lock is broken, and you do not have a problem caused by the gate binding.

How familiar are you with the internal operation of this lock to have identified the problem, your description of the problem puzzles me.

"the key turns partially bot won't unlock. My guess is that one of the inside parts is wore off or loose ".

If this where the case then the key would turn a little more than "Partially"

It could be broken, but it sounds more like the gate is loaded or binding against the latch or bolt, relieving this tension on the bolt or latch by lifting the gate or pushing or pulling on it, might help, IF IT DOES NOT, you would be doing yourself a huge favor to call a professional like a locksmith who could better address your problem before you make it worse trying to disassemble a lock you know nothing about to fix a problem you can't properly identify. Trust me, I have made several service calls that have cost the customer hundreds of dollars more to replace damaged hardware after their failed DIY attempts, than it would have cost if I was called while they just needed service. A professional might also be able to address the cause of this problem as well to ensure that once the gate is open it will continue to operate properly.

Patrick D. Harrington

HARRINGTON'S LOCKSMITH
416.467.LOCK  416.467.5625

HTTP://WWW.hARRINGTONSlOCKSMITH.COM

Locksmithing

Patrick D. Harrington