Locksmithing/old yale lock

Question
Cylinder
Cylinder  

back of lock
back of lock  
I lost the original key to an old Yale lock made in England.  The lock went to a closet door (picture attached).  I would like to have a key made for the lock but when I called a locksmith he said Yale locks are very difficult to make keys for and he could not give me a price.  He said it depends on how long it takes him to figure out the right key.  Is there an easier way or should I say an inexpensive way to have the key made or can I just change the tumbler?  I could just change the lock, but I'm trying to keep it original since the house is early 1920's.  Thank you.

Answer
If this is the lock in the picture, "off the door" take it into a locksmith shop. It will take minutes to shim open and decode to have keys cut by code or re-key to new codes. If it was still installed on a locked door it might have taken some time to pick open and remove from the door to perform this task but given it is not it should be incredibly easy and painless.

<I>That lock by the way is not from the 1920s just to let you know.

Patrick D. Harrington

HARRINGTON'S LOCKSMITH
416.467.LOCK  416.467.5625

http://www.HarringtonsLocksmith.com

Locksmithing

Patrick D. Harrington