Locksmithing/Sears Roebuck safe without combination

Question
I recently bought a house that had a sears Roebuck tower safe in it. It has a Yale combo lock with the number 1M934 on the hinge. How can I find the combination?

Answer
Stac,

"TOWER" was simply the Sears brand name of safes that Sears sold, and NOT a manufacturers name.   Several companies sold safes to Sears that were all labeled Tower safe.    Unfortunately, Sears has no original records, and most of the companies that provided safes to Sears are also out of business.    Manufacturers also NEVER published any records or combinations for their safes for obvious security and liability reasons.

So unfortunately, your options are pretty much limited to either testing all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations that might be on the lock, or having a safe technician from a local safe company open it, and either recover the current combo, or reset the lock to a new combination.

Unfortunately, the cost to have the safe opened and the combo recovered is probably going to be more than the safe is worth.   If you don't have any valuables inside, then I would seriously consider saving the money and possibly buying a new safe.    If you are simply curious as to what is in the safe, it would be an extremely rare occasion for someone to abandon a safe with "stuff" still inside.   You probably have better odds of winning the lottery.

Generally people simply abandon safes like this for someone else to dispose of.    

If you are still stuck on seeing what is inside of the safe, contact a local safe company to arrange to have their safe tech open the safe.   If you don't have a local safe company then let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know in your area, that I might recommend.

Note:   I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   They generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools and can cause excessive damage, or charge exhorbant fees.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)