Locksmithing/Sears Roebuck safe without combination

I recently bought a house that had a sears Roebuck tower safe in it. It has a Yale combo lock with the number 1M934 on the hinge. How can I find the combination?

"TOWER" was simply the Sears brand name of safes that Sears sold, and NOT a manufacturers name.   Several companies sold safes to Sears that were all labeled Tower safe.    Unfortunately, Sears has no original records, and most of the companies that provided safes to Sears are also out of business.    Manufacturers also NEVER published any records or combinations for their safes for obvious security and liability reasons.

So unfortunately, your options are pretty much limited to either testing all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations that might be on the lock, or having a safe technician from a local safe company open it, and either recover the current combo, or reset the lock to a new combination.

Unfortunately, the cost to have the safe opened and the combo recovered is probably going to be more than the safe is worth.   If you don't have any valuables inside, then I would seriously consider saving the money and possibly buying a new safe.    If you are simply curious as to what is in the safe, it would be an extremely rare occasion for someone to abandon a safe with "stuff" still inside.   You probably have better odds of winning the lottery.

Generally people simply abandon safes like this for someone else to dispose of.    

If you are still stuck on seeing what is inside of the safe, contact a local safe company to arrange to have their safe tech open the safe.   If you don't have a local safe company then let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know in your area, that I might recommend.

Note:   I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   They generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools and can cause excessive damage, or charge exhorbant fees.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)