Locksmithing/Victor Fire Master Jr. Cabinet

I had to drill the lock of a Victor Fire Master Jr. Cabinet (4 draws)to get it open. It is a fireproof cabinet, and it weights about 400 lbs. This is a cabinet that has latch for each draws press down to open. Can you tell me what kind of replacement lock and where do I find one? How much is this cabinet worth if I decide to sell it? Thank you. Rob.

I would have recommended against drilling a lock which may be hard to replace, unless it was already damaged or non-repairable.    Many of the companies which manufactured locks for older companies have either ceased production of locks which are no longer in use, or have gone out of business themselves.   There are very few manufacturers of aftermarket locks or parts.

As far as value, it is a file cabinet, which is "Fire RESISTIVE", NOT fire "proof"!   Containers which are near or over 50 years old do not meet current standards and have little value.   If you can't find a replacement lock, then it has even less value, as it can no longer be secured.

Obviously, in order to try to see if a replacement lock even exists, I would need to have the old lock in hand.    Your options would be to take it to a local lock or safe company to have them try to ID it, or to send the lock to me.    If it is completely destroyed or you have thrown it away, then you may be out of luck.

I looked at my old Victor 3 drawer file cabinet, it uses an old Chicago file cabinet lock.   There were several different sizes of these locks, so again, you would need your old lock to match it up against a potential replacement to get the correct model.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)