Locksmithing/finding right size doorknob

Question
I would like to replace a 1978(?) doorknob but am having trouble finding the right dimensions that will do 2 things:  1)  allow my screen door to close (so it cannot project more than 2 inches) ...and 2) fit into the hole on a decorative metal plate that I do not want to remove (so it must have a smaller than average exterior rose).  The current doorknob projects only 2 inches because it has a flat knob and it has an exterior rose whose circumference is only 8" (which I think translate into 2.55" diameter  with the formula "circumference=pi X diameter").   I've bought and returned 2 knobs and cannot seem to find what I need.  Is there a way to shop by dimensions?  Or do you have any knowledge of where to get these flat knobs with smaller than average exteriors rose?  I'd be willing to switch to a lever, but still need something that will work.  If this is impossible, then I suppose I could try to buy a deadbolt that would match the old doorknob.  If I did that and wanted them on the same key, would it be better to rekey the old doorknob or the new deadbolt?  ie...does rekeying an old doorknob make it more likely to fail in the future?  Thanks for your advice!

Answer
If you are looking for a low profile Knob you could try a Schlage Plymouth knob. There should be a manufacture name on the face of the latch to identify what you have, If you have a decent Deadbolt forget about buying a keyed knob it only poses the risk of locking you out, it does not increase your security. The model you would want is a Schlage Plymouth passage knob or part number Schlage A10S PLY   in 605 for brass or 626 for brushed chrome (silver).

Locksmithing

Patrick D. Harrington