Key Question... I have been given a Sperry-Rand Firesafe(I know you said NO safe questions), I broke the key while bringing it home. Got the key out in two pieces(it is a very unusual key), and I have the Manufacturer's key, with the serial number on it... What would you recommend? Sorry, it isn't a "safe" question, it is a "key" question. Thank you!

Hello Chris,

You are the only one I know of that can read, thanks!

I'm not aware of that brand so I don't know which key it would likely use.  Generally with broken keys the best thing to do is to take it to a local locksmith shop where they can see the actual key, determine the proper blank to use and make a new key from the broken one, that is if the broken key isn't too far gone.

Since you have what is likely the key code on the key (they generally don't put the serial number on keys, only the key code), most locksmith shops can look that code up to see which blank to use and likely make a fresh key from scratch without having to use your broken one.

If you have a lot of shops in your area, I'd recommend first calling some to see if they can help you if you were to stop in, saving you some time and gas.

Good luck.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.