Locksmithing/Quality of a safe

Is the Vanguard vs-200 a good quality safe? I can't find any detailed info online about it.

No, this is an inexpensive (cheap quality) fire resistive ONLY, safe, made for the European market.   The majority of similar safes were made throughout the orient.   They were made to be sold through chain stores or big box stores.   To my knowledge it is also a discontinued safe.

Next item - when you are asking about "quality" you need to quantify your question.    What qualities are you looking for????    Do you need a really great fire resistive safe???  Or, a really great burglary safe????, or possibly you need the best fire AND burglary safe - known as a composite body.

Safes are rated in their ability to keep HEAT or PEOPLE out of your stuff.   These ratings vary, depending on the LEVEL of security you need.

Obviously the better the ratings, the better the safe, and the higher the price.   Also, adding features will increase the value.    For instance a composite safe is going to be better than EITHER a fire resistive safe or a similar burglary resistive safe, as it will provide BOTH fire and burglary resistance.

What was the adage about - "The BITTERNESS of cheap quality will be remembered LONG after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"!   So my first question to you, is "WHAT" are you looking for.   Cheap price, or quality???  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)