Locksmithing/Remmington Rand 5 drawer file/fire safe

Question
QUESTION: My dad prchased this fire safe years ago from military surplus.
Recently while going through it, one of the drawers became stuck probably 3/4 of the way open.  Can't push it closed or pull open-only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch movement.  Any advice?  It probably weighs 500lbs, so transporting it isn't easy! Would locksmiths have access to info about these file/fire safes?

ANSWER: Hi Barb,

While the container may have a combination lock on it, it is NOT a safe.   It is simply a locking fire resistive file cabinet.

As far as "info", manufacturers never published any "maintenance" documents concerning items like this.  Which means that if you are having a mechanical problem, the locksmith or safe technician will have to diagnose the problem and come up with a solution on his own.

As replacement parts are also not available, hopefully it doesn't have a problem which requires parts.   In many cases repairs will not get it fully operational again.

As Remington-Rand products have not been made since around 1955, your container would be over 58 years old.    If it can't be easily repaired, you may want to consider replacement.

If you don't have a local locksmith shop or safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code), and I'll see who I might know or recommend in your area.   I don't recommend using any locksmith who is strictly mobile, for work like this.

Sorry, I wish the answer was better.

QUESTION: 68777 - zip code of the cabinet.  68521 - my zip code.  Is ther anyone you could recommend between Spencer NE & Lincoln NE?  (this probably doesn't matter, but the cabinet does not have a combination lock, just a general key-lock system.)

Answer
Hi Barb,

As the lock isn't the problem, you will need someone that can disassemble the container, and diagnose the drawer problem.   It may be simply something stuck in the drawer, no lubrication on the slide, or a damaged slide, but it will have to be taken apart to figure out what the problem is.

The biggest problem that I see is that the cost to possibly repair the container could be more than it is worth.

Unfortunately the nearest company that I might recommend to check out your cabinet is about 200 miles away from it, which leaves you with three options - either take it to them or pay them for the drive time, or purchase a replacement container.

J's Lock & Safe
(402) 312-5635
10026 Grand Plz
Omaha, NE   68134

Sorry, I wish I had some better options.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)