Locksmithing/safe combo change

Question
I have a wards 9042 safe, in good condition and have the combo for it. What I would like to know is if the combo can be changed? The back of the door is held on by six screws.
And if it can, does it have to be done by a locksmith?
Thanks, Mike

Answer
Mike,

Wards was not a safe manufacturer, they simply sold "relabeled" safes with their names on them.   These safes were provided from several manufacturers.    Chances are your safe was made by Meilink Safe Company.

In order to change the combination the lock will have to be disassembled.   I never recommend this as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.
As small as your safe is, you can simply remove the door from the hinges and take it to a local safe company to have them service the lock and reset the combination for you.   Cost should be between $35 to $50, and will guarantee that it is done correctly, and that it will function correctly.

If you don't have a local safe company, (check your yellow pages under "Safes & Vaults"), then let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)