Locksmithing/can't open safe

Question
hi, my husband and I just bought a safe. the people we bought it from had the combination, but we can't seem to get it to work. they said that they bought it from a man and they saw him open it. the safe does not have a name on it anywhere ( as far as I can see,) but I am sure it's an old one. any thought on what I might be doing wrong? please help.

Answer
Sarah,

I will either need to know what manufacturer safe you have (or more importantly the lock installed) to give you the correct dialing sequence.    If you don't know what you have, then I'll need to see photos of it.

Secondly I'll need to see the combination, written exactly as they gave it to you so that I can "decode" it and give you the correct instructions.

Generally people tend to write down instructions or combination dialing sequences the way that "THEY" understand them, and NOT necessarily the way the lock actually works.   The problem is exacerbated when it is passed along either incorrectly or with the interpretations of the OTHER previous owners.

There are ONLY three reasons that the safe lock won't open, in order they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence (operator errors  (#1 reason)
2.  Incorrect combination, wrong numbers
3.  Mechanical problems.

Once I see your safe and dial (photos), and more importantly, the combination from the previous owners, hopefully we can decode it and make it operational.

"IF" the combination AND dialing sequence ARE correct, and the lock is difficult to operate or open, then you MAY have a mechanical or service issue.   You will need a safe technician from a local safe company to clean and service the lock (which would include resetting the combination).   This would ensure that it operates correctly every time.

If you need to send photos of the safe to me, its probably best to send them directly to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com    so that I can see what you have.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)