Locksmithing/test combinations

Question
Hi Andy,
I am still doing research on my safe and came across your response to this question.  I have read that Diebold had test combinations and that owners frequently did not change those original factory combinations.  If this is true, are those factory combinations available?
Thanks,
B

Answer
Brenda,

I'm not sure where you "read" that Diebold had "Test combinations", but this simply isn't true.   The standard 3 wheel locks that Diebold has used on most of their safes, has the potential of 1,000,000 possible combinations.   The four wheel locks have 100,000,000 possible combinations available.    This means that at a minimum, Diebold could possibly make 1,000,000 safes without using the same combination twice.

Safes leaving the factory are either set on a "neutral" combination, which would be changed to a customer's requested combination at the time of sale.   Safes which are set at the factory, are all set on individual, UNIQUE combinations.

Generally if the safe leaves the factory on a "set" combination, it would be referenced through their records by the serial number assigned to the safe.   Trying to get Diebold to do a record search is extremely difficult - to say the least.

If the factory used a "standard series", or factory combinations, and "IF" that list ever got out of the factory, Diebold would be liable for every safe they ever sold.    This myth concerning "factory combinations" has been going around for over 100 years, and unfortunately many locksmiths are the worst ones for keeping it going.     In the 1930's and 40's groups of locksmiths were actively keeping track of combinations, in order to try to find the "magical combination" or factory settings, so that they could open the majority of locked up safes that came their way, without having to work.    While they came up with "THEIR" versions of some try out combinations, I have yet to find one that actually works.

So, bottom line, you can try to contact Diebold, with the serial number of your safe, to see if they have any records listed, or you can contact a safe technician (NOT a locksmith) at a local safe company to open your safe and either recover or reset the combination for you.

Again as mentioned, Diebold is EXTREMELY reluctant to provide any assistance, and if they are, you will need the serial number of your safe, AND proof of ownership.   Chances are they will simply tell you to contact a local safe company.

Even factories that do keep records of combinations that were set on safes, when they left the factory will indicate that the records will ONLY reflect the combination that the safe left the factory set on.   If it has EVER been changed, they will not have a record of it.

If it were really that easy, safes wouldn't be very safe.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I might know in your area that I would recommend.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)