Locksmithing/tilton and mcfarland safe

I just picked up a nice Tilton Mcfarland safe. It dimensions are 44 in (H) x 38 in (W) x 28 (D). The clasp that goes across the front was unlocked. I was able to just pull the door open. From the inside I see the internal movement of the dial mechanism is missing. It has an inner door than I can see no way that it has no dial or key opening. Can you recommend the best way to get a key made for the clasp and where to get the internal parts for the combo dial. Also How did the inside panel door lock. I can get you pics.
Thanks in advance

After having worked on a lot of Tilton & McFarland safes, I can pretty confidently tell you that if your locks are missing, they are probably in some locksmiths collection, and unless you can find another similar safe to use for donor parts, you are NOT going to find any replacement locks.

Bottom line, if you like the safe, then I would clean it up to use as a decoration (display purposes only), and possibly have a key made for the outer hasp.

If you look closely at the back side of the hasp, you will note that it has four screws, removal of the screws will release the lock, then you should be able to have keys made at a locksmith shop, or possibly at a local safe company.   As key blanks are not readily available, they may have to order what ever is available, and then fit them to your safe.   I'm currently waiting on key blanks that I hope will work on locks off of a Tilton & McFarland that I'm currently working on.

Send me the photos of the locks that you have on your safe.   If pieces are simply missing, we might be able to fabricate the missing items, but I'll wait to comment on this until AFTER I've seen the photos.
I've currently got 6 or 7 Tilton & McFarland locks on my work bench to take measurements off of, for parts for your locks - these however are not for sale, they have their own safes.

The inside panel door (I'm assuming you are talking about the access door for the safe front door - bolt work area), had its own small lock.   If this is missing then you probably aren't going to find a replacement lock.

You can send the photos along with your questions to me at:   Make sure that the photos are high resolution (at least 1mb), so that I can zoom in to see details.  Also, my email can only accept up to about 12mb of attachments, so you may have to send several emails with 3 or 4 photos each.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)