Locksmithing/1920 1-1/4" deep front door-- needs bolt locl

Question
Dear James; We've been restoring a 1920s Craftsman farmhouse which has original exterior doors; all 1-1/4" thick.  The doors have antique skeleton mechanisms. Charming but not practical for renters or quick escape in case of fire. Fortunately, the mudroom entry door has modern sized door and key system. But my rental family needs to have quick exit ability from the antique doors.

I am going to install slider door bolts for the time being inside the doors.  But I would like to install keyed dead bolts with an interior thumb latch.  I saw your response 6/13/2006 and wondered if you have any further suggestions for me.

Thanks for whatever help you are able to give!

Answer
Hello Ginger,

I'm not sure which response you are referring to, 2006 was a long time ago.

If you have room on the doors, a standard deadbolt should work fine, as long as you can find some that can work on 1-1/4" thick doors.  1-3/8" is the minimum for most locks.

I usually recommend removing the old locks completely because they will eventually get locked somehow and without a key, they are next to impossible to open.  Kwikset makes a kit to change those old locks to the newer style one.  The plates that go on the face of the door increase the thickness allowing standard locks to be used, and they cover up the holes that the old lock had in the door face and edge.

You can find those at most hardware stores, home centers and locksmith shops.

James

Locksmithing

James