Locksmithing/adesco safe/ Please help

Question
Andy, I hope you can help me I am desperate. I don't want my elderly father to have to pay someone again to come out to his house. I have read just about all your post and no one has asked a question about a Adesco safe? My father recently changed his codes to the top and bottom of his safe.  It is a "adesco safe" serial #49084. It's about forty years old, It's about 3 ft high and heavy, its a drop safe as well. It has a dial combination.  He is able to get the top open but has forgotten or given the wrong combination for the bottom code. He just changed the codes about seven months  ago and doesn't remember what locksmith he called.  If he was to remember, do they keep record of his new codes? I have looked on the web and can not find this  Manufacture and the old number I found was
  and is no longer working. Do you have their number and is it true for them to tell me some "magic manufacture" unlocking code that will unlock his safe. If I call a tech can he save the lock or once he drills into it I have to replace it. Sorry one other question, is it worth it to Bolt  this safe to the floor?

Answer
Hi Maria,

First off, Adesco Safe Company is no longer in business, having been acquired by FireKing International in 2005.   While they still use the "logo", it is NOT the same company.

Manufacturers ONLY kept records on the ORIGINAL combination that the safe left the factory, set on.   Once it has been changed there are no further records.  
Generally locksmiths and safe service companies DO NOT keep copies of combinations, keys or other security items for obvious security and liability reasons.   That doesn't mean that some don't, it simply means that the rule of thumbs is they should not.

You can contact FireKing International at:   800-457-2424 for information concerning their Adesco product line, but I can already tell you that they will not have any records for your fathers safe.   There is also no such thing as a manufacturers "Magic" unlocking code.   Every safe is set on a single, unique combination.   Once it has been changed the manufacturer will no longer have any useful information.

As far as the damage that may be caused to your safe during opening, this WILL depend on who you call.   In general I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work as they don't have the training, knowledge or tools and can easily cause excessive damage or charge exhorbant fees.

You need a safe technician from a local safe company.    Opening the safe - if done correctly - should not damage the safe, and/or the lock.   We open 3-5 safes every day and never intentionally ruin one, and generally we don't have to replace the lock unless it is already damaged.

Last question - bolting the safe down.   After you have it operational and both doors working correctly, bolting it down is a great idea.    WHAT you bolt it down to will determine how secure it is.   Anchoring to a wooden floor is not a great idea.   Concrete anchors, when used correctly will basically make it a part of the house.   Generally safes which weigh LESS than 750 lbs, SHOULD be anchored to a concrete, slab floor.

I think that I've answered all your questions, if I missed anything or you have other questions, feel free to run them by me.

good luck.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)