Locksmithing/Baldwin exterior door knob (does not lock, separate deadbolt)

Question
The piece that moves when the knob is turned, and engages the jamb when the door is closed, will not come out after the knob is released after opening the door.

I removed everything from the door and thoroughly cleaned (with a solvent) the mechanism that fits through the hole in the edge of the door.  I then lubricated the piece.  Everything moves freely, but the piece that engages the strike plate in the jamb does not automatically return after it's pushed in.

What part of the mechanism causes this piece to come back out when the knob is released?  Is there a spring?

Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hello Larry,

The latch has an internal spring that pushes it back out when the knob is returned back to its idle position.  If the spring breaks or fails it won't extend the latch fully or at all.

Remove the latch and take it to a local locksmith shop to get it replaced.  You shouldn't have to replace the whole lock unless you can't find a replacement latch.

My experience has taught me that once a latch fails, it's done.

James

Locksmithing

James