Locksmithing/Jj Taylor Toronto safe

Question
Vault
Vault  

Vault
Vault  
Good morning,
Our local town lost its office and firehall to a fire a few weeks ago. All of their documents were stored in the large safe. We were asked to recover the safe from the wreckage and open it. The safe was badly damaged but after methodically dismantling the door we were able to open it and recover everything intact. The safe was a work of art, from reading the history it appears to be of 1920's vintage. Inside the safe was a beautiful bank vault which was unharmed. I couldn't bear to see it scrapped so I set about recovering it. It was a project to salvage it from the fire cement. I did get it out intact.
The vault has two combination locks and I have the large brass key that fits the back of the combination locks. The town lost the combinations for the locks many years ago. I would like to use the vault after restoration so I am trying to find the instructions for the combination locks. I assume that the key can be used to reset combinations or at least help recover the existing combination. I have had no luck with local locksmith companies so I am hoping that there are some archives of information for this lock. Any information or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I can send detailed pictures as required. I am a machinist and I could probably dismantle the locks to figure them out but I hate to reinvent the wheel. I have limited knowledge of combination locks and don't even know the dialling sequence.
Thank you

Gavin Reynolds

Celtic Power & Machining

Tel.
Fax.
Cel.

Sent from my iPad

Answer
Hi Gavin,

This isn't a "vault", it is a jewelers chest.    A vault is a walk in type container or room.

As far as the locks go, I'll need more info to determine what you have.   Change key tools may/or maynot be available.

As far as the locksmiths go, I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Generally they do not have the knowledge,  training or tools to work on safes.   You need a safe technician from a local safe company.
I also don't recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reasons.

If you would like to send photos of the lock to me for identification,  I would be happy to look at it for you.

Send the pics directly to me at : andy@securitysafeusa.com

along with any specific questions.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)