Locksmithing/lost combination

The home we bought has a small wall safe and unfortunately the combination was locked inside the safe by one of our children before it was committed to memory. It is a Meilink safe with the number 646 on the combination nob.  I think it is a 3 number combination. We would like to open it without damaging it.

Well you have several options at this point.   You can contact the manufacturer to see if they have any records for your safe, you can try dialing all of the possible combinations for your lock, or you can have a safe technician from a local safe company open it for you.

Problem 1.   Meilink - This manufacturer was acquired by another company around 1990.   I believe that they only maintain info on older safes that goes back about 10 years, but you can contact them if you like.
FireKing International / Meilink

Problem 2.   I will need to see photos of your safe to provide you with the correct dialing instructions.   As Meilink had been around since 1899, they have made a lot of varieties and models of safes, with varieties and different models of locks.   Once I see your safe, I can provide you with a dialing sequence, then if you wish you can begin dialing all of the possible combinations for your lock.

Send photos of the safe directly to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com

If you elect to have a safe technician from a local safe company (NOT a locksmith), they should be able to take care of the problem the same day.   I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work as they generally DO NOT have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes.   If you don't have a local safe company, then I would need to know where you are located (zip code) to see who I might know in your area.

Hope this helps

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)