Locksmithing/Protectall safe

Question
I have acquired a Protectall safe without a combination. The serial number is attached; is there any chance of getting the combination or would you just recommend having it opened by a locksmith?

Answer
Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, serial numbers are ONLY any good as long as the company that manufactured the item is still in business.   In your case they are not.   Here is the "basic" history:

Protectall Safes were built from 1930 until around the early 1940's.   The successful company got the attention of Mosler Safe Company who acquired it.   They continued to manufacturer out of the Syracuse, NY facility until 1949 when Mr. Mosler Sr. decided to close it down and consolidate the facility into the main Mosler facility in Hamilton, Oh.

Protectall safes which were manufactured by Mosler also incorporated the Mosler name into the logo.  

Mosler Safe Company closed in 2001 after a Bankruptcy.

So this pretty much limits your options to either trying all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations that your lock may have, or having a "SAFE TECHNICIAN" (NOT a locksmith) open the safe.

If you do not have a local safe company with a trained safe technician, then let me know where you and/or the safe are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)