Locksmithing/Removing a Schlage door lock lever

Question
Schlage locking handle
Schlage locking handle  
QUESTION: I am trying to remove a Schlage door handle because the key was lost, and I want to re-key the lock. I am not sure what specific model it is. I was only able to remove the inside handle, and the two long hidden screws, but it does not come off the metal door. The pin hole was facing the striking plate. Also, I cannot get the outside handle to come apart, and I do not see any srews under the outside cover plate.

ANSWER: Look at the threaded part of the inside of the lock. It looks like it might be a Schlage D-line lock. Is this a lever?

There is a "castle nut" that uses a special tool/socket that unscrews it. I have had success in the past using a small screwdriver to tap it around until it's loose enough to unscrew by hand.

That's only the start of what you need to do. if the key is lost/unavailable you need to completely disassemble the lock to get to the back of the lock cylinder to to remove it.

Schlage used to produce a detailed breakdown manual. Someone may have scanned and posted it.

Does it say Schlage on the edge of the door?

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Edge of door
Edge of door  

Overview
Overview  
QUESTION: Yes, it says Schlage on the edge. Also, I noticed an F on the latching plate, but I am having trouble locating the castle nut. By the way, thanks for the quick reply.

Answer
I've been trying to find a pic or the Schlage manual on line with no luck.

It is a Schlage D line Rhodes lock.

The nut is really a threaded ring with four little flat post sticking up so that you can use their tool to unscrew it. They used to pack a plastic one in every box.

You might ask a local locksmith if he has any laying around.

Dan

Locksmithing

Dan Terrigno