Locksmithing/Shaw-Walker problem

QUESTION: Due to a recent family loss, we now have a Shaw-Walker 2 drawer filing cabinet, with family papers inside it.  We have the combination and we can successfully open the top drawer.  However, we can't get the bottom drawer open.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry but mechanical problems generally require hands on diagnostics and solutions.

If the lock unlocks, and that drawer will open, then either something is jamming the lower drawer from opening, or the gang lock has not released.

The solution to the problem will require hands on trouble shooting and observation to determine why the drawer won't open.    Once the problem is found it can possibly be repaired.

If you can't figure out what is jamming the lower drawer or the gang lock, then you will need to have someone from a local locksmith or safe company, come out to look at it for you.

I wish there was an easy solution, but this time it will require someone onsite to look at the container.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know and/or would recommend in your area.

Basically the Pasadena CA area - zip code 91104.

Thanks for the info,

Hi Mick,

I've got three companies that I would recommend that cover this area.   There are several other smaller companies, but these are the guys that I use and trust.

Los Angeles Safe & Vault
(909) 620-5168          Robert Stabley          about 25 miles
110 San Lorenzo St.
Pomona, Ca.  91766

Stratton Safes
909-963-0801          Neil Stratton          about 65 miles
240 Maple Ave Ste G
Beaumont, CA  92223

Professional Safecracking
760-805-2958          Todd Kerm          about 70 miles
P.O.B. 1506
Temecula, Ca.  92593

Contact them to find out what they might recommend and/or can do to help you out.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)