Locksmithing/Shaw Walker Safe

Question
safe
safe  
My father recently passed away and none of the kids have a combination to his safe. Any tips on how we maybe be able to open this. Is there a serial number somewhere we could get the manufacturer involved to maybe get a combination. What photos do you need to figure out the worth?

Answer
Kirk,

Sorry, but using a serial number to contact a manufacturer for a record search would suppose that the manufacturer was still in business.

Shaw-Walker has basically been out of business since 1990 with all assets acquired by SMEAD Manufacturing.   To my knowledge they hadn't made any safes since the late 1960's or early 1970's.

So unless you have a time machine available, you are basically limited to two options:
1.   You can try all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations that the lock has available, or
2.   You can contact a local safe company to have their safe technician open the safe for you.

Note:   I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage or charging exhorbant fees.

If you opt for option 1, and test 500 combinations every day, it would only take you about 5.5 years to test them all.   Though hopefully you would find the working combination long before you went through them all.
Option 2 would be the quickest.   If done correctly by a trained safe tech, it will not result in damage, should be accomplished in 2-3 hours (possibly less), and cost should be in the $350 to $500 range to open and repair it, plus any necessary parts.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located, and I'll see who I know in your area, that I might recommend.

Hope this helps.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)