Locksmithing/Anchoring safe to wood floor

Hi.  I live in a condo and have recently purchased a light duty (B-rated) safe that I have anchored to the floor in one of my closets.  Unfortunately I have plywood floors and very little options for anchoring locations w/no access to underfloor.  I anchored it using lag bolts and believe one of the four went into a stud but the other three were obviously only going through plywood.  My question is, would I be better using toggle bolts for those three anchors?  The largest I have been able to find at local hardware store is 3/8" and the wing part of the bolt doesn't look particularly strong so I'm not sure if they would be stronger than the lag bolts I already used.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Go to  It's the site for McMaster Carr.

They have 1/2" toggle bolts. Look at the internally threaded ones.

Should be the second one down when you choose 1/2" as the bolt size.

They should do what you want.

They are stronger than the plywood you are putting them in.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies