Locksmithing/Business safe

I am looking for a drop down safe for the office. Main purpose of it should be keeping money overnight. Plan to keep around 20-40K and should give me piece of mind that nobody can access it during 24-48 hour period. Thank You in advance.

Ok, the FIRST thing that you need is to learn WHAT makes a safe safe.   Burglary safes are designed to keep PEOPLE out of the safe.   Its ability to accomplish this for a "PERIOD" of time is based on its construction.

Non-rated deposit safes are made from thin sheet steel, and designed for very "TEMPORARY" storage of cash, generally below $10,000.

Rated safes (TL-15/30) would be for amounts over $10,000, and/or extended periods (longer than overnight).

The problem with safes which have TL-15 and higher ratings, they can't have an exposed depository.  This means that you basically have a two compartment safe (upper and lower compartments) with a depository between them.   Only a few companies offer a "standard production line" of safes which meet this capability.   Generally these safes are custom safes.

As far as the requirement of zero access during (up to) a 24-48 hour (or longer) period, will require a time locking mechanism.   This can be accomplished a couple of different ways, either by a mechanical Time Lock, or an electronic lock which has time lock capabilities.

The advantage of an electronic lock is that a lot of features are available at a price about 1/2 that of a mechanical time lock.   You can have multiple user codes, audit trails, time delay, time lock, various access mediums like Dallas Keys, PIN only, biometric, card swipe, proximity cards, etc.   If you already utilize some of these access methods in your business, this lock might be a seamless integration.
Audit trail capabilities are extremely useful to tell who has accessed either compartment of the safe, and/or what depositis were made by what person.

So while you can have a very simple small depository safe made for smaller quantities of cash, and designed to be emptied daily, with a lock providing single user access and no other features, you can go all the way to the other end of the spectrum to a Medium security (TL-15) safe with all the bells and whistles that you desire.

Bottom line, just like shopping for a car, while you can watch all the hype of a commercial to try to induce you to buy something that really doesn't fit the bill, or you can check in with a qualified safe company that can provide you with the exact features that YOU request.   Yes this is like Burger King - you CAN have it your way.

I would recommend your checking out our web site for some ideas, and/or contacting one of our sales reps to discuss options and features.    www.securitysafeusa.com

While there are numerous safe companies around the country, the majority (probably in the 99% range) simply sell "pre-made" equipment.   There are only 1/2 dozen or so companies in the country that have the capability to provide you with exactly what YOU need or request.

Hope this helps, if not, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask me here, or you can contact our company to speak to a sales rep.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)