Locksmithing/Chubb safe

Question
Andy, I have recently acquired a large Chubb safe , 1300mm high x 780mm wide x 800 mm deep, outside dimensions , fitted with electronic lock, the type you can put a 9 volt battery on external lugs.The problem is it has not been used for approx 5-6 years and the present staff from where it came from have no idea of the combo number. { staff turn over is fairly great here }. They say it is empty , but no one is sure.The internal battery could also be severly corroded from our hot climate here causing more problems. Peter , [ our local { 300 klms away } locksmth] sugested cutting the back out , about a 600 x 800 mm hole then jackhammer out the concrete then with jig saw cut the internal liner to reach the inside of the door. I am loathe to do this because if it can be saved I would like to install this safe into the concrete Cyclone proof garden shed / cyclone shelter we are having built, ajoining the house.  I will take a photo of the front of it and send.
Regards ,  Hans.

Answer
Hans,

Your locksmith as very eloquently indicated why I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   If you intend to ruin a safe, hopefully you are not going to pay him for his suggestion to "ruin" the safe.   

Professional Safe Technicians ALWAYS approach locked out safes with the BASIC idea of how to open it with the least amount of damage, that is also repairable, so that the safe does NOT lose any integrity or security ratings.

While it's obvious that you can cut a large enough hole in the safe to reach in, or climb in to open it, the problem ISN'T just getting it open, it is also repairing it so that it will still provide what ever protection that it was originally intended for - fire or burglary.    Safes, especially Chubb safes, are NOT simply sheet steel and concrete, they use various barrier materials to keep burglars from doing what your local locksmith recommends.   If it was that simple, burglars would be breaking into safes much more often.    In addition to barrier materials, they use rebar, torch resistanct materials, drill resistant materials and thick steel.   So while this may be a way of getting rid of some frustration levels, taking it out on the safe, it may not actually work, depending on which Chubb safe you have and how it is actually constructed.

While I do realize that Australia is not only a large country but a continent as well, you do have a couple really good safe techs available, that travel, though you will have to discuss prices with them to decide if working on this safe is a cost effective idea.   Buying a new safe may be a better option.
If you are able to travel, or take the safe to the safe company, or possibly meet them half way somewhere, it could save on the fees somewhat.

I recommend that you contact Ratner Safes to see what options you have.   They may also know of, or can recommend someone in your area.

Ratner Safes
12 Longview Court Thomastown
Victoria 3074 AUSTRALIA
Telephone: 03 9465 7833
Facsimile: 03 9464 0828
www.ratnersafes.com.au

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)