Locksmithing/Cosmo Safe model TB-3E

I own this safe and the batteries have died and I have no way of opening this thing. I found a set of screws on a panel beneath the touch pad and there was a hole there but I don't know what it was for. I have no instructions for the safe since it was my fathers. It there any way to access the batteries from the outside so I can get new ones in and gain access to the valuable papers inside without having someone breaking into it????

The hole is for an emergency dial. There was a mechanical combination lock override.

The dial went in the hole and you dialed it open.

There is a solenoid in the safe door. A competent safe technician can drill a very small hole and push the solenoid down to open it.

This will not damage the safe. The small hole can be repaired.

Not all locksmiths are qualified to do this work.

Do not pay anybody an hourly rate to learn on your safe. Beware the scammers that offer a cheap  service call and jack up the price when they get there.

Someone who knows what they are doing can quote you a flat rate for open and repair.

In our area we we would quote a trip charge of $65 and an open and repair charge of $195

You can find safe techs at

What city are you in? I may know someone I can recommend.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies