Locksmithing/Gary Safe

Gary Safe
Gary Safe  

Gary serial
Gary serial  
I have a Gary safe. Serial Number 506430 with an 0288 after it. I also have the key for the combination dial with the number 116 stamped on it. I do not have the combination for the safe and would like to know if there is somewhere I can get it. I would like to get it open to make sure it works so I can sell it.
Can you give me any information on this safe or it's value.

Unfortunately Gary has not been around since the late 80's.   They merged with another company in the early 90's to form Allied-Gary, which was acquired around 1995 by NKL, which was acquired by FireKing International in 1999.   While FireKing still produces using the "Gary" logo, these are NOT the same safes or company, and they do not have the original records.

The 560430 is the serial number of the safe.   The 0288 is when this safe was made - Feb. 1988.   The #116 on the dial, is probably the key number for the key locking dial.

As there is no available record of the combination for this safe - (manufacturers NEVER publish this info for obvious security and liability reasons), your options are limited to trying all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations or having a safe technician from a local safe company open the safe for you.

As far as a value, while it is locked up, it has no value.   Once opened, the value will depend on what you actually have.

Cost to open the container WILL depend on the containers rating.   Lower or non-rated burglary containers and/or fire resistive containers should run $350 to $500 to open and repair.   TL-15's could be in the $500 to $750 to open & repair.   TL-30's could be in the $750 to $1000 PER lock to open & repair.

So obviously if the safe is worth, say, $500 when it is opened, if you have to spend $500 to have it opened, repaired and a combination recovered or reset, the net value would be $0.

Right now, it basically has a negative value - the cost to open it.   After it is opened we can take a look at what you actually have and determine what it is potentially worth.

Obviously before putting the cart in front of the horse (so to speak), you will need to discuss the cost of having the safe opened and returned to service with a local safe company, to determine if it is going to be worth your time.

I'm sure this isn't the information that you were looking for, but it does give you a starting point.

If you elect to try to dial it open, the correct dialing sequence would be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (around 90).

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you try 500 combinations every day, it will only take around 5.5 years to test them all.   Hopefully you will find the actual combo long before you get this far.

If you don't have a local safe company, there are several really good ones in the Lexington and Nicholasville areas.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)