Locksmithing/Globe Wernicke Antique Safe

Hi, I have a Globe Wernicke of Cincinnati safe, with #302 also on it. The measurements are 21"W X 24" D X 48" high. It has 3" casters.  I was just curious what it's worth.

Well, I can tell you a couple items about your safe without seeing a lot of photos.

Globe-Wernicke only manufactured safes from 1911 until 1917.   Basically this company obtained several safes from the Safe Cabinet Company, and "reverse engineered" them in order to make "IDENTICAL" safes, and then sold their safes labeled as "Globe Cabinet Safes".
Obviously The Safe Cabinet Company, didn't believe that "Imitation is the shearest form of flattery" and filed several lawsuits against them for patent infringment.   The courts agreed that Globe-Wernicke had intentionally attempted to mislead customer's into believing they were buying safes manufactured by The Safe Cabinet Company.   Globe-Wernicke appealed the ruling and again lost.

So your safe would have been manufactured between 1911 to 1917.

Three problems with your safe - first the dial (and possibly the lock) have been replaced and are not original.   Second, this manufacturer was known to use Asbestos as an insulation material in its safes.   While this material is a great insulator from heat, it is considered a HAZMAT item.   Various states have different laws and regulations regarding the Sale of, transportation of, or disposal of items containing asbestos.
Third, as a HAZMAT item, this container has no value, and is not considered collectible.

Personnally I don't have a problem with asbestos, and think that it is a great product if used correctly.   As long as it is in a sealed container (like the walls of your safe, AND it doesn't become airborne, AND you don't inhale it, it does not pose any significant risk.
That being said, I don't make the rules or regulations.

Check your local and state regulations to determine what your requirements and/or liabilities are.   If you were in California we would charge you between $400-$600 to haul it away for disposal.   I do not recommend that you attempt to sell or dispose of the container, without dealing with the asbestos problems, as the fines or penalties could be extremely sever - in the tens of thousands of dollars!

Sorry, I know this wasn't the answer you were looking for.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)