Locksmithing/When good safes fall on there face

Question
Hi Andy
Thank you for your time, inherited my Fathers safe an old safe with a Yale lock from the Braun Safe and Lock Co. from Cincinnati OH. It's 31"X31.5"X54". Several Weeks ago I Hired "Professionals" To move this safe from my Fathers old home to my home. Long story short, there lift was not up to the task and my safe did a belly flop from ~ 2ft up onto the concrete landing on its handle, tumble and lower hinge This knocked the tumble out, it hit the key that was in the inner door and bent it and did something to it's lock. So I have 2 damaged locks, a bend lower hinge, I Hope the safe is till square,I believe so the inner door still makes the "Woosh" sound when I open it from the air entering it. The outer door also use to make this sound, but now is out of alignment.

My question#s# is, is there any safe restoration companies #or what is the closest one.# to Ann Arbor Michigan As long as I have to get this done I would also like to have the lettering on the safe restored #Someone had painted over it, but still raised up and readable at an angle.#

Can you tell me anything about the Company who made the safe as I can find 0 reference to them on line.     

Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerly,
Russ

Answer
Russ,

Chances are the manufacturer of your safe was the "J. Baum Safe & Lock Company"   This company went out of business in the early 1920's.

This is one of the reasons that I NEVER recommend people using "MOVERS" to move safes.   While they are ok with some large items like refridgerators or couches, these items have very little weight, maybe a couple hundred pounds.   A safe the size you are discussing could easily weigh 1500-2000 lbs, depending on what you actually have.    Just because it has wheels on it does NOT mean that it is going to be easy to move.   So now with the damage, IF it is repairable, you could easily be looking at a $3000 to $5000 restoration fee of a safe which may be an antique.

Fortunately for you there is a company fairly close to you, however the amount of time to restore your safe WILL depend on his current work load.

You can contact:

Matt Lamborn
gosigns@neo.rr.com
Matt's Antique Safe Restoration
419-606-3168
Ashland, OH          This is about 150 miles from Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Basic History:
The J. Baum Safe & Lock was organized May 26th 1916 to succeed the Baum Safe Company, established in 1893 to succeed the Warth-Baum Safe & Lock Company.  J. Baum bought out all Warth’s interests in the company in 1903.  Even though the name was NOT officially changed to "J. Baum Safe & Lock" until 1916 after Jacobs death, the name had been used since the 1903 change in ownership.   Warth-Baum Safe & Lock Company was organized around 1870.  The predecessor company was the Warth Safe  & Vault Company.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)