Locksmithing/Home savings bank

Question
Home savings bank front
Home savings bank fron  

Home savings bank open.
Home savings bank open  
Andy,

Greetings from Finland! I found this site by chance as I've been trying to find out where my great-grandmother's "piggy safe" originates from. My mother recalls her grandmother told her that the safe is from the US and I found a text on the key indicating Yale & Towne Mfg Co. Stamford, Conn. U.S.A. As I did some research it turned out that Yale & Towne is the manufacturer of the lock and key whereas the safe itself might have been manufactured by W.F.Burns Co in Chicago: http://www.thewsburns.com/

Also, similar items seem to be auctioned by Moore's:

http://www.moorecoins.com/PUT-YOUR-DIMES-AND-DOLLARS-HERE-THUS-GROW-RICHER-YEAR-

http://www.moorecoins.com/THE-QUEBEC-BANK-A-rectangular-steel-satchel-bank-with-

There is no mention of manufacturer on the bank nor any serial number or anything else that would help to pinpoint the manufacturer. I'm wondering if you could confirm whether it's W.F.Burns Co in Chicago or e.g. Coburns Co in New York. Also, It would be great if the time of manufacture could be specified or narrowed down to a certain period as I don't have any idea of it at the current.

I'm also wondering how the item has ended up with my great-grandmother. She never visited USA and didn't have any relatives who would have moved to or visited USA. According to my Mom, her grandmother did get the safe from USA, not e.g. second hand from Finland. Well, I suppose it's impossible to tell for sure but if you are aware of any reasons why similar items would have landed in Europe, I'd be very interested in hearing them.

Thank you so much in advance for any information you can provide regarding this item!

Best regards,
Juhana

Answer
Juhana,

Sorry but I can't confirm any information about this item.   I only deal with safes and vaults, not coin banks or collectibles.   You will need to check with other collectors of similar items, or associations that collect these items.

One place that I would start with would be:
http://www.theantiquesafecollector.com/antiquesafebanksci.html

Not only is Guy Zani Jr. one of the largest collectors of antique safes, he has a unique antique coin bank collection.    If he can't answer your questions concerning the bank directly, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

You may also want to check out the following web site.   While this deals more with "mechanical" antique coin banks, they might also be able to point you in the right direction.
http://www.mechanicalbanks.org/

Again, sorry I can't help further, but this is NOT my area of expertise.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)