Locksmithing/Keep/Safe options

So we just moved into this new house and discovered  a safe behind the door in the closet. Asked the landlord for the combination and he said he had lost it and challenged me to "pick the lock" and share the combination with him. My question is... Is it worth trying, and if so how would one go about figuring the combination? Or if I called a locksmith, is possible they could figure it out, and how much would that cost?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give.

Yes, it can be opened by a qualified safe technician.

No, it's not like the movies where you listen for the tumblers to fall.

Can you post a pic of the safe?

Based on that I can tell you how complicated a job it is. What city are you in?

I may know somebody near there that works on safes.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies