Locksmithing/Kwikset single cylinder deadbolt removal

Question
I am trying to replace the Kwikset single cylinder deadbolt on my back door.  I have already replaced the doorknob.  The instructions say that I should find a small hole at the base of the latch on the interior side of the lock and use something like a small awl or paper click to release the "spring" and take off the latch.  Unfortunately, nothing I use seems to release the spring, thus, the latch won't come off and I have no way to remove the brass plate which covers the cylinder. Is there anything else I can do?

Answer
Hello Dianne,

I'm not clear.  The method you are describing generally refers to removing a knob or lever not a deadbolt.

Most Kwikset deadbolts have exposed screws, simply remove those to get the housing off.

Other models of Kwikset deadbolts have hidden screws.  On the bottom side of the thumb turn is a small pin or screw.  Remove that to slide the thumb turn off.  Then pop the trim plate and Nader that you'll find the mounting screws.

Another model has 2 sets of screws.  Remove those that hold the thumb turn assembly on and remove the plate.  Behind that are 2 other screws that need a flat head screwdriver to remove.

If none of the above help you, please reply with a photo.

James

Locksmithing

James