Locksmithing/lost safe combo

gary safe
gary safe  
I have a Gary safe floor model bought in Columbus, Ohio in 1979.  Model number is obscured serial number is 210501  called phone number on Gary's sight as I have done this before.  They told me it was so old that they do not keep records on them any more any suggestions.  It has 4 numbers in combo I think I remember two of them not sure of sequence.  I have a pic of safe if that would help if I can upload it to your site  really don't want to drill this safe but really need it open.  thanks janie

It more than likely has a Lagard 3 wheel lock and the last number is just where the dial stops on the last turn.

A competent safe technician can do one of two things:

He can attempt to manipulate the lock, which is opening the lock by touch and sight.

Not all locks can be manipulated, but an experienced tech will know how.

He can drill a small hole in the side of the safe and use a 90 degree scope to look in the change key hole in the back of the lock and dial it open.

The hole is then plugged by a steel pin.

Not all locksmiths are experienced safe technicians. Do not pay anybody an hourly rate to learn on your safe. If they know what they are doing they should be able to give you a flat rate price assuming the safe is in working condition.

In Cleveland, we would charge a trip charge of $65 and an open and repair price of $295

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies