Locksmithing/Meilink Built Hercules One Hour Insulated Filing Device

I have an antique Meilink Built Hercules One Hour Insulated Filing Device (Patented 1953) that is missing what appears to be two rods that attach to the back of the cabinet's lock.  Would you know where I could find replacements for these pieces?  The local locksmith suggested replacing the cabinet, however, my boss would prefer to keep the original filing cabinet. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Antiques are OVER 100 years old.  With a 1953 patent date, it would be LESS than 60 years old.  Patent dates are NOT when it was made, it is the date the PATENT was issued, which means that the filing cabinet could have been made up to 20 years AFTER this date.

As these filing cabinets have not been built since the mid 1960's finding replacement parts is going to be slim to none!

Safes and cabinets which are over 50 years old, (which probably includes yours) DO NOT meet current standards for fire resistance or burglary resistance.  As this is simply a filing cabinet, it has NO burglary resistance what so ever.

While parts could probably be made for the cabinet, it will NOT make it like new again.   As this cabinet is NOT an antique, and it is NOT collectible - I have to agree with the locksmith on this one - it is probably time to replace it.   Cost to repair and/or make replacement parts will not be cheap.   My recommendation is to save the money and buy a new one.

If your boss elects to use it, I would recommend not locking it up.   I would also NOT recommend storing ANY valuable documents inside of it.

Sorry, the news isn't better.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)