Locksmithing/Mosler CD 120 Group II

Question
I have an old Mosler CD 120 Group II lock on an older Mosler safe.  The lock has tumblers that you can manually change the combination.  Unfortunately it is only sporadically working so I'm afraid to lock it anymore.  I just had a locksmith out to fix it but she told me the tumblers are too worn.  She also told me that they did not make a lock the same size that would fit so I was out of luck.  I find it hard to believe that nobody makes a replacement lock.  So I'm out the $ for the service call and still can not use the lock.  Is there anyplace I can buy a replacement lock or anyplace I can get parts to fix?
Thanks
John

Answer
John,

Mosler has been out of business for 12 years and parts are no longer available except for used locks.   I believe that I may have the back cover and wheel pack for a CD 120, but I know I do not have the whole lock.

Your locksmith is correct in that this lock had a unique foot print, with no aftermarket locks made for replacements.

You have a couple choices - you can simply remove the lock and use the container for storage without locking it, you can try the wheel pack that I have, or you can keep looking to see if you can find a lock in somebodies parts room in a safe company or locksmith shop.

My recommendation would be to retire this safe and use it as a display or non-locking storage container, then get a new current production model.

As far as the used parts or locks go,   They are generally sold "as-is", with no implied warranty and no return policy.   With a limited, obsolete lock population to choose from, you could easily be looking for quite a while to find the correct item, or you could simply stumble upon someone's hoard of them!

Last option would be to upgrade the safe (if you plan on still using it), installing a new digital/electronic lock.   Obviously some modifications, including drilling and tapping mounting holes, may be required to make it operational, but digital locks are NOT going to require the alignment problems created by the CD-120's unique mounting foot print.

I would need to see the door to be in a position to make a better estimate, evaluation, or suggestions concerning any upgrades.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)