Locksmithing/Mosler GSA lockset

Many thanks to your site, it is extremely informative!  I have scoured through several hundred Mosler safe questions on it without seeing this one.

I was given a Mosler GSA 5 safe with no lock set or dial attached (old Postal safe). It is about 36 x 42 x 24, and weighs just over 1200 pounds.

I was also given a Mosler lock set with it, with a 5 inch stem (way too long for this safe, obviously not used with it). The lock set seems to work (I am familiar with the dial operations and determining combinations, although I have taken your advice not to attempt to change one). I was going to try to find a correct stem length and dial to use this lock set.

The question: When turning the dial, it 'clicks'. The dials on two other Mosler safes I own turn smoothly. Taking the back off the lock set, there is a casting, with a assembly with a spring-loaded bearing that rides on the last (inner most) wheel. This allows the dial to hit the bearing as it turns, causing the clicking noise as it runs over the irregular surface and causes interference.  Is this useable/ repairable?  Do you sell parts to make this operate correctly?

I know pictures are in order, but I wanted to preface sending them with the rather long background.

Lastly, (more importantly), can I send this to your company for correct assembly, or can you refer a safe technician in the Detroit Michigan area (zip: 48336)to

Thanks for the kind words but this is not my site, I'm simply a volunteer here.

Simply question with a simple answer, - the dial stem is cut to length AFTER the lock has been mounted to the container.

All unmounted locks, provided with a dial, have to have the dial spindle cut to length.   Manufacturers have no way of knowing what safe you plan on mounting the lock on, so the dials are fitted with longer spindles.   Once cut that dial is pretty much only good for THAT container, or another one similar to it.

As far as the "clicking" noise your lock makes, you probably have a Moler MR-302/402 lock.  This was Mosler's manipulation resistive lock.   The clicking is part of the anti-manipulation device installed in the lock - get use to it, as it isn't going away, and this IS correct operation of the lock.

While you are more than welcome to send the drawer face and lock into me for correct installation/assembly, you can also try one of the following companies:

Anchor Safe Company
2627 E. 8 Mile Rd
Warren, MI  48091

Mark's Lock Shop, Inc.
2107 South Cedar Street
Lansing, MI 48910-3129

Nobel Locksmith Service
2670 Grace Road
Fort Gratiot, MI  48059

Redford Safe & Lock Co, Inc
313-535-2200 or 313-535-4800
26515 Grand River Ave
Redford, MI 48240

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)