Locksmithing/Mosler GSA 'Post Office' design question

First, thank you for the help on the 'clicking' Mosler security dials a few weeks back. I got the lock working correctly!

On this same safe (about 36 inches wide by 27 inches deep by 42 high on 4 inch skids, there is a plate of steel tack welded on the inside of the back of the safe. It appears to be ~5/8 thick, 30 inches wide and 36 inches tall.  Is this a counter weight for the door?  Could I take it out and lighten the safe (its 1/4 inch all around in any case. I figure the plate is at least 200 pounds. I don't want to remove it and have the safe door fall on my foot!
best regards

ANY modifications to a GSA container will cause it to loose its GSA rating, and value.   If you ever plan on selling the container, then don't plan on making any changes to it.

on the other hand if you don't plan on ever selling it, remove the GSA label and do what ever you wish.

As far as the plate, I would need photos to see what you are referring to.   Generally items like this are installed for a reason.   Engineers designed it the way it is to accomplish some goal.   Either as a counter balance for the door, or as extra steel for security.   If it is as heavy as you indicate, then I would bend to agree with the counter balance idea.   It also may be a "stiffner".  By removing it, the body of the safe may be allowed to tweak, causing problems with opening and closing the door.

What's the worse thing that can happen.   If you take it out, and find out you have a problem with the door, then simply put it back and tack weld it back in place.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I understand WHY you would want to lighten the overall weight of the safe.   The main purpose behind the weight is to keep bad guys from being able to cart off your safe AND more importantly your stuff.   By making the safe 200 lbs lighter, you have simply made it 200 lbs easier to move.   You could also bolt the container down to concrete, which would take care of both of the problems,

Hope this helps or causes you some more mental issues,  LOL.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)