Locksmithing/Mosler safe

Question
QUESTION: I have inherited a mosler safe but do not have the combination. The model # is 226703. Could you please help me get into it without doing to much damage to it.

ANSWER: Wayne,

As Mosler has been out of business for around 13 years, contacting them to find out the original combination the safe left the factory set on will be kind of hard.   Also, Manufacturers NEVER published or released combinations, or information about serial numbers.  This pretty much leaves you with two options.

You can try all of the 1,000,000 plus, possible combinations, but that could take you 5 or 6 years, and up to 500 years if it has a 4 wheel lock.   (500 combo's per day).

Or, you can have a safe tech from a local safe company open it for your, and recover the combination or reset it.   If you don't have a local safe company or a safe technician that can open the safe for you, let me know where you are located (zipcode) - Pennsylvania is kind of a big state.

NOTE:   I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage or charging exhorbant fees.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: I can't seem to find anyone that can help me. I have called a few different locksmith co. with no help. If you could give me any advice at all it would be appreciated. My zip code is Wapwallopen 18660. Thank you.

Answer
Wayne,

Probably the nearest company that I would recommend would be:

Ed's Safe Service     about 70 miles
267.475.6517          Edward Sellers
PO Box 486
Harleysville, PA   19438

If you can take the safe to him, you can probably save some of the cost, if not, he will probably have a mobile service charge.

Hope this helps.

If you are interested, there will be an auction of antique safes in Denver, PA on March 30th, 2013, at Morpy's Auction house.   Over 100 antique safes will be available for auction.   This is about 80 miles south of you.

Good luck.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)