Locksmithing/Mosler Safe Door

I am in the process of purchasing a fire rated Mosler Vault door that is coming out of an old school. The door is currently open but is locked as the combo has not been entered. From the three tags on the door I gather information of Fire Class 2, Group 1, No.64056 and Spec F-3, Y40458. If we are unable to get the combination from the person whom used this safe door the most in the late 80's early 90's can the back plate be removed and the combo changed? Or at worst case the lock replaced. Looking for any advice that may help to make this door a working vault door again.

As long as the door is open it is not important if you have the old combination or not.   Any local safe technician should be able to easily recover or reset the combination.   I'm not sure why you would assume the lock might need replacement without having it inspected.

first problem - as it appears that your door has a "Safe Manufacturers National Association" inspection label, it is over 50 years old.   Equipment this old does NOT meet ANY current standards for fire or burglary.   As fire vault doors tend to get damaged due to slamming and lack of service, the insulation material is most likely broken or damaged.

As the insulation material IS the back bone of the door, if it is cracked or broken it is basically useless.

My recommendation would be to have a complete inspection of the door, bolt work and lock done before you decide whether or not you really want this door.

Labor to bring it back to working condition WILL depend on what problems it actually has, Parts are not available, and would have to be fabricated from scratch.

You haven't mentioned what your purpose for the door is.   If you are looking for something for home use, and are willing to do some restoration work to it - ok!    If you are planning on using the door for business use, then don't.   Just because the price may "seem" right, it doesn't meet any standards and should not be used for any type of business - period!   If you need a vault door for business - buy a new door or newer door, which MEETS necessary standards for fire or burglary.

Hope this helps.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)