Locksmithing/national mortise door lock

QUESTION: national (queens park, ny) c. 1940 front door lock, thumb knob outside, round knob inside attaches to a 1/8 in. thick ,5/16 in. wide single shaft which has broken off.  Now I can't get the shaft out of the lock to remove the lock from the door for replace/repair.  Tried pushing, pulling, lifting, etc.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

ANSWER: Look at the inside shaft closely. Some of them were two pieces. You separate them slightly and one of the two will pull out, then the other one.

One of them has a hook shape to it and is held in by the flat one.

Can you post a pic of the shaft?

QUESTION: Right!  Using a magnifying glass, did find the existence of the second piece of the shaft - which has already broken off inside the lock, holding the hooked one in place.  Any suggestions on how to get the tiny, broken off, flat piece out?  Thanks again.

You're going to have to separate the two at some point.

I would start with a small, and by small I mean about 1/4" across, and wiggle it between the two.

At that point a magnet may pull it out.

It sounds really stupid, but some sort of sticky stuff on the end of a small piece of wire may get it started.

DO NOT use super glue, you run the risk of gluing the two pieces together.

Once you get it out, one of the older locksmith shops in an older neighborhood should have one or could order one.

A company call Progressive Hardware still makes these.

Good Luck! And have some patience, you will get it out.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies