Locksmithing/Old J +J Taylor (Toronto) Safe

We bought a small building with an old Taylor Safe (Toronto) in the basement. It is a floor mount about 3 ft. square and 5 guys could not get it up the stairs. So it remains, now post-reno, in a purpose-built cabinet.  We do not have a combination.  I suspect the original building owners bought it in 1940 - 1950.  It has a tumbler in the middle of the door and a handle to the left which unlocks and opens the door.  The handle has a 5 digit number on it.  Will this number get us to the original combination number so we can actually try to unlock the thing.  The successor company Chubb-M?? and Taylor does not have any web information that I can see that would assist.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Unless you have a DeLorean capable of time travel, I'm not sure how you are going to contact the manufacturer to try to obtain the orignal combination.  

J & J Taylor was acquired by Mosler in the late 1920's.   Eventually  becoming Chubb-Mosler-Taylor around 1959.   The security giant "Gunebo" acquired Chubb around 2000.   None of the original factory documents from J & J Taylor or Mosler exist any longer.

This basically leaves you with two options - you can dial all of the possible 100 million possible combinations, or you can have a safe technician opening the container for you.

At 500 trial combinations per day will only take you about 500 years to test them all.

Sorry there isn't a better answer.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)