Locksmithing/old Mosler Safe serial #27808 model spec F4

Question
We purchased this building 18 years ago over the past several months the dial seems to have gotten really loose inside and takes many attempts to open.  I took the back off it looks to be in pretty good shape, but loose will graphite tighten this up or is there a rebuild kit that can bet installed to renew the old girl!

Answer
Robert,

An SMNA (Safe Manufacturers National Association) specification "F4", indicates that this would be a One Hour, Fire resistive, Insulated, File room or storage door.   This is not a safe, nor is it considered a "vault" type door.

This door is over 50 years old and does not meet ANY standards for fire resistance, and it has no burglary resistance.

Graphite should NEVER be used in locks, especially combination type locks.   If the lock appears to be loosening up, it probably needs service.   This is NOT a DIY type project, and should be performed by a trained safe technician from a local safe company.

As Mosler has been out of business for about 13 years, there are no parts avialable, and many of the locks are NOT easily retrofitable to newer style locks.

I recommend that you contact a local safe company to have the door inspected to see what other problems exist, and to service the lock.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)