You are here:

Locksmithing/Old type iron gate deadbolt


I need to replace my iron gate deadbolt, keyed on both sides. The problem is that in the old days, these deadbolts came in two sizes: 2 3/8" or 2 3/4". Since then, the manufacturers have made an "improvement" where the deadbolt is now adjustable to either size. That's fine if you have a newer gate; but this new deadbolt shaft will not fit into my older iron gate.  The gate hole (where the "face plate goes) is about 1/16" too small. Do you know where I can obtain a deadbolt that will fit my older gate? I need the 2 3/8" size.
Thank you.

Hi Roger. 2 things. What brand of deadbolt are you trying to install?

Do you have access to a drill?

Many lock manufacturers make a dedicated bolt for whichever backset lock you have. A local locksmith shop should be able to order one for you. If you can tell me which make and model I may be able to give you the exact part number.

If you have a drill, you can buy a cheap "step drill" from Harbor Freight. Go to their site and search for it.

It will make the hole big enough for you to use what you have.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dan Terrigno


I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems


35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Awards and Honors
Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Past/Present Clients
Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies

©2017 All rights reserved.