Locksmithing/how to open a safe

We removed a combination in-wall safe in 2011, which had been inside a wall in our apartment since the building was constructed in 1907 (all apartments were provided with a safe - I believe most have been removed).  I can not locate a manufacturer's name but there are two numbers: 52451 on the dial; and 18 on the four sides of the safe.  It has hinges and rebolts (?) and is very heavy.  I would appreciate a referral to someone in New York City who would open the safe without doing any damage to it.
Thank you,

New York City has several really good safe companies and safe technicians.   It also has some of my favorite safecrackers, and a couple that specialize in antique safes, which is fortunate for you, as they won't be simply interested in "opening only".   They will be interested in preserving the safe.

Some names that you can try are:

Precision Lock & Safe, Inc.
516-616-0854          Elaad & Dov Israli
240 Jericho Tpke
Floral Park, NY 11001

Prestige Safe
201-696-1735          Eddie Lopez
90 Forest Ave
Paramus, N.J.  07652

There are also several larger safe companies in New York City, but they aren't going to give you the personal service that either of the above companies will.

Empire safe
6 E 39th St
New York, NY
(212) 226-2255

Acme Safe Company
214 W 29th St  
New York, NY 10001
(212) 686-0668

Accu-Safes Inc.,      Also does safe restorations
516-752-3893          Neal Krazalowski   
112 Newtown Road
Plainview, NY  11803

Ok, I've given you a number of companies that are in your area, that should be able to open your safe.   You will need to discuss opening methods and cost do determine who you want to have do the work.    Generally I warn people to stay away from anyone with open ended charges.   You should know UPFRONT, exactly WHAT charges to expect, and WHAT the results are going to be.   Damages to a possibly antique safe are unexceptable, though drilling, when done correctly, IS an excepted method of opening safes, AND if done correctly will not damage or ruin the safe.   There should be NO hidden charges, and the price quoted should be the price you pay, if necessary get a written quote BEFORE having them do the work.

Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions regarding proposed opening methods or charges I would be happy to review them with you.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)